This one rice that i love preparing when short of time.Its filling and fun.
- 8 beef or pork sausages
- 4 chicken drumsticks and 2 chicken wings or breast
- 2 medium onions chopped finely
- 11/2 cup of rice
- 1/4 cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 4 cloves garlic,crushed
- 3 trimmed celery stalks sliced thickly
- 11/2 cup pureed tomatoes
- 1 cup peas
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Cook sausages in a large saucepan,turning, until browned all over;remove from pan. In the same pan,cook chicken, a few pieces at a time, until browned all over.
- 2-3 fry onions until soft.Add rice,cayenne,thyme,bay leaves,garlic,celery and crushed tomatoes.Stir to incorporate.
- Chop sausages to bite size pieces and add to rice mixture together with the chicken and peas.Pour in stock and bring to boil.Reduce the head and simmer,uncovered for about 15 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through.
Tip: I always cook my sausage without the skin.
This recipe is from Tupike issue 8th March,April 2008.